Tyrannosaur Rig November 2008

In 2008 I developed a keen interest for rigging, and decided to explore it by creating a Tyrannosaurs Rex in Maya. I developed this under the guidance of Tim McLaughlin. And my objective was to understand joint placement, its limitations, then create an accurate rig and a walk-cycle animation with believable deformations. I developed a MEL script that would generate the entire rig given a set of locators indicating joint positions. Here's a skeletal study that I did before implementing the final rig.

Dinosaurs, especially the T-rex was perhaps my biggest childhood-obsession, and working on this project let me relive those childhood memories. I also ended up going to the AMNH and taking a close look at the real fossils while I was in New York that year.